Saturday 9 May 2020

Bookmark SAL - May

Welcome to the fifth part of the Bookmark SAL! I'm running a day late thanks to my rheumatism playing up. I was also procrastinating today as I was not looking forward to adding the multitude of photos (and therefore comments/captions) I'd made to help with how to do the straight stitches in this pattern. I decided that for now getting the post up was more important and that if people want I can make a tutorial separately (just let me know in the comments here or on Facebook on one of the posts announcing this post) which will mean that those that don't need it can get going sooner.

I had decided to go all experimental with my bookmark - I regret doing that - partly because my hands are playing up, partly because it turned out to be a pain in the rear end to get round the assorted corners. The idea was that it could be worn as a bracelet when not being used but like this I don't think it will work. My crappy finishing of the corners didn't help but I'm thinking perhaps a button and loop would be more effective in the end.
Sometimes my ideas don't work out - and that's ok too. More often you would never see it as I'd re-make whatever and pretend it never happened hehe.

I did include a second finishing plan because I know some people like to keep things simple - and in this case I should have too! However I have left this in in case someone who is better at these things than I am wants to live dangerously and do it themselves (perhaps with interfacing?)
The ugly bit... oh yeah...

Fabric:

For this pattern I have used 14ct black Aida - I used a bit that was 7.7 x 12.4 inches - I did the backstitched outline in the finishing allowance, so you don't need to cut extra for that.

Threads:

You will need 0.1 skein of each colour thread. Feel free to make it any colour or colours you prefer - or the recipient prefers if it's going to be a gift.

The patterns

The bookmark can be downloaded here
The outlines pattern for the bookmark can be downloaded here

That's all for this month's Bookmark SAL post!

I'll be back tomorrow with the final post for the Mini Magical Mystery SAL 4!

1 comment:

  1. This one is stunning, I'm really looking forward to working all those lovely colours on the black! Shame about the finish, but it still looks pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the comment form moderation... some bored idiots are spamming my blog.