Thursday 1 October 2020

Seasons SAL - Autumn

Welcome to the autumn edition of the Seasons SAL! This is also the final part of this SAL as we started with winter in January, went on to spring in April, and did summer in July. Rather to my surprise I managed to finish stitching this on time - I'd hoped to also fully finish it but I was just too tired and still need to stitch the Temperature SAL (which is why this post is first, not second as I'd said this morning).
This is the autumn pattern - it's *really* bright and in your face but I wanted to show the colours of the season in the sunset and the leaves on the tree. You can't see it so well in this picture but I actually threaded my needle with two colours not one to give a more mottled look to the leaves. Some people call this blending, others call this tweeding - either way it sounds more difficult than it is. The only "complicated" bit is remembering to use two different colours when you thread your needle, one strand of each. After that you can stitch as you normally would - though perhaps if you are someone who likes to "railroad"** then you should abstain as the charm of this method is to have one or the other colour on top, not have the threads neatly side by side. Of course if you like you can always use just the one colour or a variegated thread instead!

I made some tiny pumpkins but if you prefer you can skip those.

These are the colours used this time. The top row is the sky and the bottom row is used for most of the rest. I didn't take a separate photo of the fabric this time. The fabric I'm using is Jodyri Designs October 2017 Limited Edition "Jack O' Lantern" 18ct Aida.
And finally here are all of the seasons next to each other! I plan on making a cube container out of mine. I have a feeling that they need to make their mind up about the house colour soon though - it must have gotten pretty expensive in the last year with all of the paint jobs!

You can find the pattern here

Have fun stitching! I'll see you in an hour or so with the Temperature SAL, tomorrow for the next part of the Mini Magical Mystery SAL 14, and the next Ornament of the Month for 2020!



** Railroading is when you make sure to have both threads of the (second leg of the x at the very least) neatly side by side by putting the needle between the two threads as you pull the thread though. Video of railroading. Personally I prefer it when you can't see that more than one strand is being used but everyone has their own preferences as to what they like and that's the great thing about embroidery - there is space for everyone to do what makes them happy.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is gorgeos! Hard to believe the last part of this SAL is already out, shows how time flies this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes it felt very odd saying that it was the last part!

      Delete

Sorry about the comment form moderation... some bored idiots are spamming my blog.