Tuesday 20 October 2020

Easy Christmas Cards SAL - October

 
Welcome to the tenth part of the Easy Christmas Cards SAL! This month I used a perforated paper bauble shape to make my card, but you could also use normal perforated paper or plastic Aida to make yours. If you are lucky you might even find wooden ones in your local crafty shop!
The one I had in my stash looks like this. Unlike the Christmas tree one it doesn't come with a back to hide the stitches so you would need to do that if you wanted - or you could stitch a second one and stick it to the back!
I forgot to check the stitch count before starting and used my usual two strands of DMC and discovered that the coverage was minimal. before doing any ripping I decided to see what four strands would do - and it was much better, so I went back and carefully added another two strands to the first (making sure that the lower half of the stitch did indeed go under the upper arm of the stitch as I did so.) I just remembered to measure the stitch count and it's 8ct so pretty large!
The three colours used don't stand out so much compared to each other but do make it look slightly glowy in person. If you decide to use other colours make sure they are slightly different but not so much so that they distract from the backstitch that is to come.
And here it is fully stitched! I used what turned out to be a #24 Kreinik I had in my stash wound on bobbins as it has been in a bag of mixed threads - I wanted to be able to say what I used and measured it compared to the threads on my Kreinik colour card and was very surprised. Judging by the whiteness and the shine it has I'm pretty sure it's 5760 Marshmallow. 
Here you can see how big the ornament is! There isn't much space around it so I decided to leave it open for personalisation - it makes a pretty big impact all on it's own. I made the cord it's hanging from by doing a simple crochet chain with more of the thread and just used a bit of sticky tape to fix it to the inside of the card.
 
Normally I'd give a list of things I used and instructions but as it's all already mentioned I'm going to skip it this time. Also as a side note: I edited last month's post to show the finish I made with the three elements I'd made.
 
You can find the pattern here. If you have a different size perforated shape and need help please let me know!

Don't forget to personalise the card!

I hope you like this pattern - and the card! I'll see you tomorrow with the next part of the Mini Magical Mystery SAL 15!

2 comments:

  1. That's lovely, the slight colour gradient give it an almost 3D look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, that's what I was hoping to achieve :)

      Delete

Sorry about the comment form moderation... some bored idiots are spamming my blog.