Tuesday 16 June 2020

Easy Christmas Cards SAL - June

Welcome to the sixth part of the Easy Christmas Cards SAL! This month I decided to use a bit of perforated paper, a scrap of felt, the ribbon (pressed) and bell of a Lindt Christmas deer, and some of the DMC Light Effects thread that's been lurking in a thread box not getting used as I usually grab Kreinik for sparkly stitching. No photo of the "ingredients" this time as it sort of happened as I was making it rather than a planned thing.
The end result looks really nice for all that. You won't find the running stitched outline in the pattern - that's part of the construction of the ornament. If you are constructing this another way and want the running stitch line just add it before construction.

The thing is that glue and I don't get on - I use it rarely, usually in bits you can't see. If I use glue in places you might see its likely to become a big mess - or I'll stick my fingers together (when I get out the superglue the kids make sure I have acetone on hand - I'm going to need it), or to the project, or both at the same time. So I go out of my way to create things that aren't glued.  If you have a hot glue gun and are on good terms with it then by all means use it! Mine just burns me and doesn't like getting used. I don't judge based on how you get to the end result - we all have different ways - I just tell you how I did it and if you want to do it another way then do so - it's all good!

The good part is that there aren't any backstitches! The lines inside the pattern are all single straight stitches!

What I used to make the card (other than the card itself, which is the same type as I have used all year)
  • A bit of ribbon to make a hanging loop, if you re-use ribbon you may need to press it first. (I used 2/3 of a Lindt ribbon). Just make it as long as you like the look of.
  • A bell or charm to hang under the ornament.
  • 2 5/8" square bit of felt
  • 2 1/2" square bit of perforated paper - this gives you a little breathing space and you can trim it back after stitching.
  • 0.1 skein of E321 Light Effects, or plain DMC 321 if you want to avoid using Light Effects.
You can find the pattern here

How I made the card:

First I did the cross stitch as per usual. Then I did the straight stitches using two strands of the Light Effects
First stitch, starting from the centre square.
Second stitch.
Third stitch
Fourth stitch.
Fifth stitch - on the back go diagonally up to the corner, then down to the corner of the central square.
Then continue to repeat the steps for all of the corners.

  • To finish cut the stitching two stitches away from the stitching. 
  • Use some thread to attach the bell to one corner. 
  • Place the embroidery on the felt and hold in place while you do a running stitch to fix it in place - I suggest perhaps not doing what I did and use a plain DMC or sewing thread instead as Light Effects is not a fan of being used as sewing thread. (Who'd have guessed? hehe)
  • Remember to add in the ribbon - folded in half so it makes a loop - opposite the bell. I did a couple of stitches over each other and a diagonal stitch to make sure the ribbon was secured.
  • To secure the thread do a couple of stitches over each other on the back, then weave the thread in the felt before cutting it off. 
  • Hang your ornament over the edge of the card and tape the ribbon to the back. so it dangles from the front and is still easy enough to remove when desired.
Now you get to have fun and personalise the card!

I hope you like this pattern - and the card! I'll see you tomorrow with the next part of the Mini Magical Mystery SAL 7!

1 comment:

  1. Great stitching and upcycling! I always save the bells and ribbons from the Lindt Easter and Christmas chocolates, so I have a ton of them, waiting for a good use. So I do love this idea.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the comment form moderation... some bored idiots are spamming my blog.