Friday 7 June 2019

Friday Freebie: Ornament of the Month - June

Welcome to the sixth Ornament of the Month for 2019! This month's colour is silver - it's a lovely colour for sparkle and gives a subtle stitching pattern on the ornament itself. Making this ornament was a saga in itself as you can read below.

The downside to using a pale grey thread on pale grey fabric is something I discovered when stitching it... but even more so during the assembly process. I've been working on this for hours and even got my magnifier out for the first time - I'm still struggling to see the backstitches on the fabric - just less so.
So far I have done only one side and two corners of the outer seam... usually it takes me about two hours at most to finish up the ornament including making the cord and tassel! So unless you have perfect vision you *might* want to avoid using a near identical thread/fabric combination.

It was at this point of writing the blog post that I realised that I'd forgotten the beads on the front. Having already had a frustrating time with it, this was another thing to slow me down. I decided there was no way in hell that I'd rip out my hard work and instead I decided to see if I could add the beads without ripping. I was struggling badly and feeling frustrated so decided it was time to have a mini Magnum ice cream and play a game or two of Patience on my computer.
It helped - as did the bright yellow toned lamp on the magnifier now that it was dark enough to need it. The beading was done in no time and hopefully the finishing will be less frustrating too as the grey thread is now more visible.
Here you can also see how close the thread is to the fabric - but not which beads I used... this time I used TOHO TR-11-2021 Rainbow-Lined Rainbow Crystal.  If you can't get hold of TOHO beads Miyuki have similar beads as well: 1001 - you can see what they look like here. The threads are DMC 001 and Kreinik #4 Very Fine Braid 001 - yes that's right they both have the same number!

Of course you are free to use whatever colours and threads you like - I'm just showing you which threads I have chosen for this month, which are also the colours I charted the pattern with.

You can find the pattern here

If you are stitching this too and want to join us on Facebook just go to the Facebook group and apply!

If you want to (also) join in on Instagram or Twitter all you need to do is use the tag #OrnamentoftheMonth and mention me @Magical525 and I'll be sure to look in on your work and possibly even re-tweet it if it's on Twitter!

This brings us to the end of a VERY busy week on my blog! I'll be back on Tuesday with the sixth part of the Mamluk SAL!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, the infamous invisible ornament! It's so pretty up close, even if it's been giving you a lot of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! at least it will sparkle nicely in the tree :)

      Delete

Sorry about the comment form moderation... some bored idiots are spamming my blog.