Friday 12 June 2020

Bookmark SAL - June

Welcome to the sixth part of the Bookmark SAL! This month there are two variations one on 6ct perforated felt, which I stitched, and one for a smaller size fabric, which I didn't do more than a sample of on some banding.
This is my version stitched on 6ct perforated felt - I backed it with a second bit of perforated felt to keep the back nice and neat but perhaps thinner felt of the non-perforated kind would have been a better choice as it's quite thick.
And this is the back - I didn't expect the pattern that happened to show up but once I saw it happen I made sure it kept happening. So that you can make it happen too I took some photos of the process which you will find below. If you want the corners to look nicer you may want to carefully count it out first.

Fabric:

For this pattern I have used 6ct perforated felt - I used two bits that were 2 1/2 x 6 1/2 inches but I didn't cut them out till I'd finished stitching. If you prefer to use something else for the back then you will only need one bit of 2 1/2 x 6 1/2 inches.

If you choose to stitch this on other fabric then you will need to decide how you want to stitch it first... one line of the pattern or two? How many repeats? Which count fabric? A good place to calculate your fabric needs can be found here. Of course if you need additional help let me know, I'm always happy to assist.

Threads:

You will need 0.2 skein of each colour thread. Feel free to make it any colour or colours you prefer - or the recipient prefers if it's going to be a gift. You will need quite a bit more for the finishing... I used the full six strands but you could use fewer strands.

The patterns

The pattern for the bookmark on perforated felt can be downloaded here
The pattern for the bookmark on other fabric can be downloaded here

The edge stitch

The pattern shows the distance from the edge where you need to start stitching the embroidery. After you have finished stitching cut the embroidery out two stitches from the edges of the embroidery.
Bring the needle up
Go back a stitch
Pull the thread through and bring your needle up where you started
Pull the thread through. Then put the needle in the fabric from the back again - your thread will wrap around the edge.
Pull your thread snug making sure the thread falls in the tiny indentation from the holes.
Go a stitch forwards
Go back down into the same hole making sure your thread wraps around the edge.
Pull the thread snug against the edge.
Just repeat these steps till you reach the end. At corners you just need to make sure to go through the same hole enough times to get the thread around the edge on both sides of the corner.


That's all for this month's Bookmark SAL post!

I'll be back tomorrow with the next post for the Mini Magical Mystery SAL 7!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the comment form moderation... some bored idiots are spamming my blog.