Tuesday 22 January 2019

Blackwork SAL - January


Welcome to the first part of the smallest SAL I'm hosting! Yes, the smallest - even the 25 x 25 SAL, if all parts are stitched on the same fabric, will use more space than this SAL. This month you get one of the smaller sections: the central square. It's just 10 x 10 stitches square and won't take long at all to stitch! If you missed the overview post you can find it here.


And this is it all stitched up! it took me less than 20 minutes to do although I do admit that I did it in backstitch as Holbein stitch messes up my spatial awareness of where I am stitching and I had to rip it out twice due to mistakes.

I have added a larger section of the blackwork pattern below the SAL pattern so you can see what it looks like in a larger area AND I added red lines around the area to be stitched in case you have trouble seeing the yellow lines on the pattern itself. Naturally you are not expected to stitch this bit below your SAL work, it's just there for reference.

You can find the pattern here

Have fun stitching! I'll see you Friday for a Friday freebie - as it's not a SAL week you will be getting something a bit different than usual that will require more specific colours than you are used to from me. Speaking of non SAL weeks: Next Tuesday will be the 5th Tuesday of the month and as there are no Tuesday SAL's left to give this month you will not be getting a new pattern then, normal SAL posts will resume in February as per the schedule.

10 comments:

  1. I'm confused: is this 10" piece of Aida all I will need for the year, or should I be putting this first pattern in the middle of a large piece of fabric? I won't start stitching until I hear from you, as I don't want to have to re-stitch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This 10" bit of fabric is all you need for the entire year and pattern. The entire project is 50 x 50 stitches and the black outline you can see on my stitched project is the complete size it will be in the end. So what you see in my photo is the finished size. We will be filling in the empty spaces of the black outline over the course of the year. It's just a very small project that I spread out over the year so people would have a small thing to work on in-between other, possibly larger, projects.

      Does that clarify things for you? :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, thank you. Sometimes my creative side gets over-run by my math side (smiling sheepishly). Off to stitch. Thank you!

      Delete
    3. Awesome! In general I think it's always best to ask and be sure than not to ask and possibly get it wrong. Have fun stitching! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so in for this fun! Finally started yesterday and it's going quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the comment form moderation... some bored idiots are spamming my blog.