Tuesday 18 August 2020

Easy Christmas Cards SAL - August

Welcome to the eighth part of the Easy Christmas Cards SAL! This month I used a pre-cut perforated paper Christmas tree shape I bought earlier this year thinking it would be fun to use. Obviously not everyone can get hold of this as I'm not sure how widely spread the sale is nor if shops would even stock something like this in August. However the pattern can be stitched on perforated paper, plastic Aida or on plain fabric as well so find something to stitch on and go for it!
Once finished it will look something like this.

What I used to make the card (other than the card itself, which is the same type as I have used all year)
  • A 4 3/4" x 3 1/4" perforated paper Christmas tree (perforated paper or plastic Aida etc. works too!)
  • DMC floss as per the pattern - the red will be used for the backstitch or for attaching the beads.
  • A sheet of white paper - a bit thicker is probably nicer if possible. (I used part of last month's torn paper)
  • Optional: A 5 1/2" square of green non-woven "fabric"
  • Glue that's suitable for crafting with.
  • Optional: TOHO TR-11-25C Silver-Lined Ruby seed beads, or other seed beads to use for the garland unless you prefer to back stitch it.
You can find the pattern here


How I made the card:

First I did the cross stitch as per usual. Note: what shows as a partial stitch in the pattern is one \ or / of the cross stitch - you don't do more!
This is the ornament part way in with stitching - apparently I was so keen to move to the next part that I forgot to take a photo.
Then add the beads garlands. Use the starting points of the backstitched garlands in the pattern to see where to attach the beads. I didn't count beads I just put them on and draped it on the embroidery till it was long enough (which sometimes meant adding beads, sometimes removing them). I sort of did a backstitch for the parts where there are multiple attachment points. When laid flat the beads look a bit odd but it looks ok when upright. Naturally you can do the backstitched lines instead if you prefer.
I used two strands of the green DMC floss (just your normal working length is ok - if you double it then consider using one length - you need about 36 inches total) to make the cord. Fold the cord in half and knot it. Then use a big needle to pull the cord under a couple of stitches on the back near the point. If the eye of your biggest needle isn't big enough use a loop of thread to help pull it through.
If you have a card like mine apply glue to the back and make sure all the edges are completely covered in glue, then place on the back making sure it's centred. If not you could consider using a paper backing or felt.
My card for the month is red and it felt far too red for me so I decided to cover the red a bit using some green non-woven "fabric" I had in my box of paper stuff. I cut it the width of my card x 4 3/4" I also decided to make some "snow" like last month, but this time as a more or less straight edge.
The fabric is too fragile to put the glue on so I put the glue on the card instead - most of the way down but not all the way. I then glued on the green non-woven.
Of course now is the moment I notice that there is a yellow partial circle on the green non-woven... I'll cover that up with something at a later date. Next I put glue on the white paper and glued that in place at the bottom covering the lower edge of the green non-woven.
I'd forgotten to take a photo of this step but fortunately I could do it now.

Finally place the tree over the place you want it to be and tape the cord on the inside of the card so it hangs with the trunk in the snow.

Now you get to have fun and personalise the card!

I hope you like this pattern - and the card! I'll see you tomorrow with the next part of the Mini Magical Mystery SAL 11! 

1 comment:

Sorry about the comment form moderation... some bored idiots are spamming my blog.