Tuesday 28 January 2020

A Blackwork Christmas - January

Welcome to the first of this year's A Blackwork Christmas posts! As I mentioned in the announcement post all of the patterns are stocking shaped. Should you prefer a more traditional square shape for an ornament then feel free to stitch the Blackwork pattern into a square shape instead. I've followed up with a tutorial on how to construct a lined stocking. I've edited this post to add the link to it.

The completed stocking with a US 1 cent coin
This is the finished stocking - it's tiny really but it's the perfect size to hold a spool of Kreinik, a few small coins or, if you fold the label, a skein of Jodyri Designs thread - yes I tried! It's a fun way to give a small, thoughtful gift to a stitching friend. Of course you don't have to line the stocking, but I wanted to make it more versatile so I did.
I used DMC 700 for the cuff of the stocking and the backstitched outline that I used to join the front and back together. I used Kreinik #4 Very Fine Braid 015 (that's the same one Kreinik has announced is getting a new dye lot) for the body of the stocking. The fabric I'm using for this SAL is Zweigart Antique White 14ct Aida. I used a coordinating green craft thread for the cord and TOHO TR-11-1829 Inside-Color Rainbow Jonquil/Forest Green Lined seed beads for the finishing.

If you don't want to line the stocking you could always make it a double sided stuffed ornament or even make it on plastic Aida or perforated paper for an even quicker finish!
The stocking back, complete with a section of messy desk hehe.
I have given the pattern so you can stitch it double sided but you could do as I did and stitch one side only. The plus point of having given the stocking pointing both ways is that you can then pick which way you want your stocking to point: to the left or to the right!
But wait... there is yet another option! I know there are many of you who like to add dates and/or initials to Christmas ornaments so I have created a space on the ornament where you can do that if you prefer to do it that way. There isn't much space, as the ornament is so small to start with, so I have only included a backstitched alphabet in the pattern. I chose to have a fully stitched stocking so I completed the stitching after taking the photo above. As with the main pattern I have made a left and right facing stocking with the space in a separate pattern so you can mix and match between the two to make the ornament you prefer.

You can download the main pattern here.
You can download the pattern with space for a date here.
You can find the construction tutorial here

Have fun stitching! I'll see you Friday for the first pre-stitch part of the Spring Mystery SAL and Saturday for the February Temperature SAL update post!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much, I enjoy your site and SALs absolutely the most of all.

    Nana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! I'm so glad you like my site and SALs! :D

      Delete

Sorry about the comment form moderation... some bored idiots are spamming my blog.