Thursday 7 March 2019

NFSAL 2019 - March

Welcome to the third NFSAL of 2019! This month's pattern was too much fun not to stitch so I did... twice! Those of you who have seen the Deviant Art post or read my blog post yesterday will have seen photos of the fob I made with it.

Above you can see which fabric and threads I used for my fob.
Fabric used:  JodyRi Designs June 2017 Year of Fabric Club Neutrals "Irish Shamrock" 18ct Aida (what else would one use for a March embroidery?)
Threads used: JodyRi Designs "Moon and Stars" 084R and "Emerald Forest" 119R

This is the Moon and Stars side.
This is the Emerald Forest side.

The pattern isn't completely square - it's more diamond shaped. This is how I made my fob:
  • First I cross stitched both sides - I just stitched them both facing the same way a bit more than ten stitches apart.
  • I did a backstitched outline following the cross stitched border.
  • I cut the pieces out about four stitches away from the widest part, five from the skinniest parts.
  • I made the cord using about 22 1/2" of each thread. I tied an overhand knot in one thread, threaded the other thread through the loop of the first and tied another overhand knot in the ends of the second thread. I then treated them as a single thread and made a cord. (see my tutorial in the tutorials section on how to make cord.)
  • I whip stitched through the loops of the backstitched line, adding the first end of the cord three stitches before one of the corners, and adding the second end of the cord three stitches after the corner.
  • It's a bit fiddly as you go through the middle of a side "corner" but as long as you keep the tension tight the whole way though it will look great.
The pattern itself is 24 stitches square and my little fob is 1 1/2" square.

You can find the pattern here

Have fun stitching and I'll see you tomorrow for the March 50 x 50 for 2019 post!  

4 comments:

  1. It's lovely and classical :D The pattern was awesome to stitch and I especially love how no side was the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad you had fun stitching this and liked the odd sides I'd created :)

      Delete

Sorry about the comment form moderation... some bored idiots are spamming my blog.