Thursday, 8 November 2012

UFO #7: "red" fish completed

I'm not really sure how I managed to complete this yesterday, though staying up far too late certainly helped... but I was close to the finish of this fish and really wanted it finished As you can see it's not so red as it seemed in the magazine image so I'm extra pleased I swapped out the 760 pink for the 350 coral colour when I started this fish - I now just wish I'd chosen a replacement for the 351 (coral) as well now as it's still more pink than I'd like.

The whole embroidery now looks like this:
And this was the moment I also realised that I'd done some thing wrong with the placement of the top two fish... If you look at the bottom fish and then go back to the magazine image you will perhaps notice that the orange fish especially is much closer to the green border - this was because I'd added some space all around the embroidery when i started doing it. Of course between 1996 when I started this and now, 16 years later, I'd completely forgotten it.. till I saw how far away everything looked from where it should be compared to the two large fish at the top. I have decided that I'll leave it as is as the placement doesn't detract from the overall look of the embroidery.

This of course then makes the placement of the last fish complicated as that depends on the 3 large fish that surround it. My solution will be to find the exact middle between the fish, find the middle of  the pattern of the last fish I need to do (after flipping it to point the same way as the rest of the fish) and then embroider it from the middle. This last fish will not be the easiest to do as I'll have to remember to mentally mirror all the symbols when doing the colours.


  1. It looks very lovely. Your fishes are beautifully stitched. Looking forward to seeing the finish! :)

  2. Thank you :D I too am looking forwards to the end of this.. and not just because I want to see the results ;)

  3. I'm very excited! This is coming out really nicely.

    1. I am too :D If all goes well this will be finished by the end of the weekend :D