Sunday 24 March 2013

Mike's Mushrooms - Update 4

I finally finished the second section today - it took a bit longer than expected but the toothache thing of last weekend lead to an extracted tooth on Tuesday and it was a tad painful to look down the first few days after that so I wasn't embroidering as much. If you take a few steps (or take your glasses off hehe) you can see how realistic this is looking, something I'm really pleased with as that's exactly what I wanted from this project.

I have completed a section of 40 x 80 stitches now = 3200 stitches
The size of this section is 4,5 x 2 3/16 inches / 11,5 x 5,5 cm

About this project:
This is a "large" and complicated cross stitch project based on a photograph by a really talented Alaskan photographer who was incredibly kind and said I could make a cross stitch of it. The photographer is Mike Gates, go check out his site - his work is amazing!

The pattern was made for me as a prize for winning a competition on dA. It's 10 inches wide  x 14 1/2 inches high = 180 x 261 stitches on 18 ct coffee dyed Aida and it uses 147 colours. I am truly intimidated but I did ask for the pattern to be as close to the photo as possible and didn't limit size or colours and I certainly got what I asked for!

4 comments:

  1. It is coming right along isn't it? You may not think so but from this angle you are zipping right through it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is but it isn't as it's "just" 6,8% of the entire thing on the other hand 3200 stitches are not nothing it just appears it in comparison to the whole. "Only" 24 sections to go - I shall be done by Easter at this rate hehehe.




    (hey I never said *which year* :P )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha.... truly a HUGE undertaking, if that is just 6.8% of the whole... just thinking about the 100% makes me shudder! :D Can't imagine how many hours left of stitching left ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is - I've done 3200 of 46890 stitches - not really very much of the whole but quite a lot in the time it's taken me so far. I usually try not to think too much about the whole thing - just about the little 40 x 40 stitch area I'm working on at this very time - a lot less daunting :)

      Delete

Sorry about the comment form moderation... some bored idiots are spamming my blog.