Friday 6 November 2015

Ornament of the Month - November

November has well and truly started and it's ornament time! November's birthstones are Citrine and Yellow Topaz. I was amazed to find that Citrine is actually darker than yellow topaz and my mind keeps telling me that the darker ornament should be the Yellow topaz one hehe.


The Yellow topaz ornament was me finally letting my mini obsession with something I learnt in a maths class many years ago happen in embroidery too. I used to draw them a lot - even as 3-D cubes or pyramids so it's actually surprising it's taken me so long to embroider some.
This is the Yellow Topaz ornament finished as part of the garland. Made on 16 ct antique white Aida, which makes it 2 1/4" square, in the colours listed in the pattern. I sewed it together in the way you'd sew a biscornu together using Pale yellow seed beads every other stitch and adding loops made of twisted craft thread and at the bottom I added a leaf bead.
The stitching looks complicated but it's actually really easy! Just follow this diagram and you will find that as long as you pay attention you won't go wrong (arguing kids in the background may prove distracting so it's best to send them outside to play ;) )
This is the Citrine ornament finished with the border from the wall hanging finishing suggestion. Made on 16ct antique white Aida, which makes it 3" square, in the colours listed in the pattern. I sewed it together in the way you'd sew a biscornu together using TOHO size 11 seed beads Permanent Finish Silver Lined Light Topaz, colour code: TR-11-PF22 every other stitch and adding a hanging loop made of twisted craft thread as well as a tassel with triangle beads.

You can find the Yellow Topaz pattern here
You can find the Citrine pattern here

The next and last patterns of this SAL will be available on Friday 4th December.

Note: This post used to be on NCC International Headquarters however I have moved this here so as to have all my patterns in the same place. It has been posted with the date that it was posted to the original site so as not to confuse people visiting my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the comment form moderation... some bored idiots are spamming my blog.