Sunday, 10 February 2013

Doctor Who gifts

I made this for my bf, who is a big Dr who fan, as a valentines gift - I have given it to him a bit early because he's visiting me right now and I wanted to see his reaction in person, so it's now safe to also post here as he watches this blog too :) It's cross stitch of a Dalek - the soufflĂ© girl one - holding a soufflĂ©. It's made with several embroidery stitches I found over on Sharon b's Dictionary of Stitches for Hand Embroidery and Needlework  It's really great and has lovely clear pictures :) As he's not into pincushions I filled it with rice so he can use it as a paperweight or zap it in the microwave and use as a pocket hand warmer.

Stats:
Size of embroidery before being sewn: 3 1/2" x 3" / 8,9 x 7.6 cm
Fabric: 18 ct Aida, dyed with coffee

The Dalek:
Size: 1 1/8" x 1 1/3" / 2.96 x 3.39 cm
Number of colours: 22

The rest:
Colours used: Misc reds both plain and variegated.


Something else I also made for him is this Tardis biscornu. It's also filled with rice. I started it way back in November but didn't finish it in time to send it for Christmas and then I was ill so I kept it till he came here instead.

Stats:
Size of embroidery before being sewn: 3,3" / 8,5 cm square
Size of completed biscornu (corner to corner as seen in the lower images): 2 1/8" / 5,4 cm square
Fabric: 18 ct Aida

The front:
Colours used: 798 (blue) 310 (black) glow in the dark (E940) and florescent yellow (E980)
Total number of cross stitches: 1144
Total number of backstitches: 392

The back:
Colours used: 798 (blue) for the backstitching and variegated red for the bow ties.
Total number of cross stitches: 36
Total number of backstitches: 216

I used glow in the dark to join the sides together to make the biscornu.

Wednesday, 6 February 2013

Finish it in 2013 project: January overview and WIP update post

It's the beginning of February and high time I made an update on where I am in the Finish it in 2013 project! I've copy/pasted the first post and will be adding updates for each item so you can see before and after pictures :)


New Project:

I am also going to start a "large" and complicated new cross stitch project this year based on a photograph by a really talented Alaskan photographer who was incredibly kind and said I could make a cross stitch of it. The photographer is Mike Gates, go check out his site - his work is amazing!

The pattern was made for me as a prize for winning a competition on dA. It's 10 inches wide  x 14 1/2 inches high = 180 x 261 stitches on 18 ct Aida and it uses 147 colours. I am truly intimidated but I did ask for the pattern to be as close to the photo as possible and didn't limit size or colours and I certainly got what I asked for!

Update: I have dyed the fabric for this using coffee.

The Current WIP's:


Sagittarius star sign by Lanarte - central area complete
Update: No progress made on this.







Air and Earth Biscornu -  1st colour (of 4) of the air side done. 
Update:  I finished all 4 sides to make 2 biscornu. This is on hold till I have buttons to finish them with.


















8th century tile floor embroidery in greens and blues.  
Update: I have managed to complete 2 sides of this now















Sampler - barely started
Update: I decided to use for the TAST SAL(see sidebar for a link to the project blog) and see if I can make some sort of picture with all the different stitches have done the first 3 weeks so far.


The UFO's:


2 sleeping bunnies - a Priscilla babyland embroidery - about half done but I *so* hate doing 1/4 and 3/4 cross stitches.

Dog embroidery (portrait) made from a photo years ago by a company - about 1/5th done.

Dog embroidery (standing) made from a photo years ago by a company - barely started.

Autumn leaves needle book WIP - embroidery is 1/2 finished.


The Finishes can be found if you click the tab "2013 finishes" at the top of the page.