Wednesday 26 April 2017

Journey: Day 1

Day 1: I decided that since I was going to have an oasis in the picture I may as well start with that.
It's placed a bit above the centre of the fabric and I've made it pretty small as I want it in the distance, far away. For that reason I chose muted brown (L3790) and green (L3012) linen threads for the palm/date trees and a very pale blue (L162) for the water - or is it salt from dried up water? As you can see I'm also trying to let the person who's looking at it use their imagination as to what they are seeing though of course it can't always be that way.

I used split stitch for the water, chain stitch for the trunks of the trees and lots of tiny straight stitches for the branches/leaves of the trees. I didn't get any further than this because the kids and I were going out for dinner at our local all you can eat sushi place and when we got back at around 10pm I was too sleepy to stitch.

Having made this start that I'm happy with it's going to be much easier to progress. Today I plan on finishing the oasis and then I want to work on the deep background and possibly the sky too if I can make it that far.

See you tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. That looks great already! It's so tiny but still very much recognizable, great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That whole little scene (now finished) is 1" x 1 5/8th" (2.5 x 4.4 cm)

      Delete
  2. The threads have some lovely texture and makes me think it would end up looking great in a shadow box or curio once it's finished. where do we find the story that goes with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do, they feel very different from cotton thread, a bit stiffer. I'm not sure what I'll do with it once it's finished, the story and the finished embroidery will go on dA and I'll link to the story in my deviation and my collaborator will do the same with mine :)

      Delete

Sorry about the comment form moderation... some bored idiots are spamming my blog.