Saturday 11 May 2013

Blackwork Owl

When I was in the UK last week I also treated myself to one little kit while we were in Liberty's - I was having a hard time choosing between the blackwork Owl and the picture of Liberty's and so I asked the kids which to choose. They decided I should get the blackwork owl. This is my first ever blackwork piece and I made it in less than an afternoon. I was pretty daunted by this as I hate backstitches with a vengeance however it wasn't as bad as I feared.

The kit is <a href="http://janesjournal.thecrossstitchguild.com/">Jane Greenoff</a>'s Blackwork Beasts - Owl.
It's 3 x 2 1/2" / 6 x 8 cm.
It's mainly black with gold highlights and green cross stitches for the branch.

2 comments:

  1. and so cute! I use blackwork to overcome that dread of back stitching. It is supposed to "enhance" a project, not cause a nervous breakdown. I still have issues with BS (ha,ha) but strangely not with the blackwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't think blackwork will help avoid the breakdown from backstitching something as the problem (for me at least) is that half the time I can't see where I'm backstitching compared to the chart, either because the colours of the stitching are so close IRL but not on the pattern or because the thread for the backstitches is almost the same as the cross stitches which renders my stitches invisible.

      With blackwork you see what you are doing and see the pretty patterns emerge as you work on it. The repeating patterns are comfy once you get used to them too so it's quite a nice experience :)

      Delete

Sorry about the comment form moderation... some bored idiots are spamming my blog.