For 4 people (or 2-3 people with a larger appetites) this is what I used but just adjust to your taste/what you have lurking:
- About 400 grams pasta (that's about 250 grams "raw" pasta)
- 125 grams diced ham or cooked bacon
- About 250 grams grated Cheese - this can be cheddar or something else that melts nicely. I used mature Gouda as that's what I had in the house
- 2 tablespoons fine breadcrumbs
- 2 medium carrots - diced, 0.75 - 1 cm/1/8 - 1/4 inch
- 2 tomatoes - diced, about 1 - 2 cm/1/2 - 3/4 inch
- 1/3 cucumber - diced, about 1 - 2 cm/1/2 - 3/4 inch (I do this by leaving the cucumber I need on the whole cucumber and cutting down the length in a cross hatch and then "slicing" the bits off)
- 2 spring onions sliced thinly
- You can also use mushrooms cut into small bits, onions, courgette aubergine, etc. just don't use tinned tomatoes.
How to make it:
1. Mentally divide the pasta into 5 use 1/5 to make a layer of pasta in the oven dish.
2. Sprinkle 1/3 of the ham over the pasta followed by the 1/3 of each of the different kinds of veg you are using.
5. Spread the last 2/5 of the pasta over the top of the dish.
6. Cover with the last of the cheese.
7. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top.