Tuesday, 19 June 2012

Cherry wands

A long time ago I made a "wand" from a bit of lilac wood we'd pruned from the lilac tree - it's not easy to whittle down to any shape and I ended up with a "wand" that was only marginally thinner at the top than at the base - not exactly a very convincing wand therefore. I'd promised oldest a new one and also youngest one as well and I finally got round to making them. I used some bits from the hacked off branches of the cherry tree to make these - the wood had been lying in my garden for a couple of months so it's not really seasoned but nice and easy to whittle still. I left some of the darker bits in place as I liked the look of it, especially after I'd sanded them down to make them nice and smooth.

The smaller one is just over 16"/41 cm
The larger one is 17"/43,5 cm

I'll be giving them some TLC with some beeswax polish I have in a bit to make them shine and keep them nice for longer.

The kids were thrilled when they saw them and rushed off to the garden to practice their spell casting.

No comments:

Post a Comment